Monday 22 May 2023

Lucerne 2

As the weather was so lovely we decided to take the 17:15 boat cruise around the lake so these are mostly just views (often repetitive as I have a really annoying habit of photographing the same thing on the way back as I did on the way out) with a bit of detail where I can.

The rather impressive railway station entrance.


I haven't discovered what this church is yet, but the huge twin spires dominate that side of the lake.


6 of the 9 towers along the Musegg Wall.
 

The very smart Oriental Palace Hotel, only about £830 per night weekdays (£1,050 at weekends) but breakfast is included!



We were lucky and visibility was excellent.


Giving us clear views of the snow covered mountains.


Lots of people were taking selfies so I thought we'd have a try, but I still haven't got the hang of it.


Luckily someone took pity on me and did the honours.




As well as doing round the lake trips, the boat also serves the hotels on Mount Bürgenstock which you can just see on the top of the hill.  


Built on a ridge 450m above the lake, it's apparently the largest integrated hotel resort in Switzerland (internet image).


A funicular runs from the lake shore up the mountain but only guests from the various hotels were allowed to alight.







This was as far as the catamaran went and as we turned around to make for Lucerne the weather got a lot hazier, but of course that didn't stop me.   Mmmmmm, I think I might have taken more or less the same shot earlier.



Oh no, it’s that same view again!



This shows the Mount Bürgenstock resort clearly.




This is the Culture and Congress Centre


Oh no, not again - this is practically identical to the one I took on the way out!


It was a lovely way to end off our first evening and to be blessed with such beautiful weather was a real surprise.  We headed off to a well known burger joint for a bite to eat and then back to the hotel for an early night having got up at 02:30.