Tuesday 23 May 2023

Lucerne 3

We both managed to sleep quite well considering but unfortunately as I was making our early morning drinks I managed to knock over and break one of the mugs.  With great trepidation I wiped up the spilt water expecting to see the tissues filthy with grime from the floor (especially as it was a rather awkward place to access) but to my astonishment the floor was spotless.

The standard "Continental" type breakfast was served in the next door restaurant, which was a bit basic but we both managed to find enough to eat.  We checked out just after 09:00 but arranged to leave our cases and pick them up a couple of hours later when we'd finished our final wanderings.  First on the list was the nearby Lion Monument just around the corner from the hotel; a couple of things outside shops took our attention en route.



Unfortunately, as is so often is the case for us, the monument was covered in scaffolding but nevertheless it was pretty impressive.  The rock relief commemorates the Swiss guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution when the revolutionaries stormed the Tuileries Palace in Paris (think Les Mis)


Apparently American humorist/author Samuel Clemens (AKA Mark Twainpraised the sculpture of a mortally wounded lion as "the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world" - I rather think I agree, the expression on its face is beautiful.


I don't know what this building is but it looks interesting.


Hurrah I found my church!  It's the parish church of Lucerne, also known as the Hofkirche.




The flower boxes reminded me of Lake Como but without the colour of Mandevilla splendens.


We were so lucky with the weather yesterday, today is much more overcast.




Of course we had to visit a chocolate shop.


But this one was no ordinary chocolate shop; it had a wall that ran chocolate!


As delicious as that may sound the shop assistant told me the chocolate has to be mixed with oil to keep it runny so maybe not so good after all!


We bought a couple of these individual chocolates in a tin as presents in the hope that they’ll survive the next few days.  At €6 for one chocolate they were pretty dear, but that was nothing to how much the Japanese lady in front of me spent - over €125.


Father’s Day is a couple of weeks earlier here (4 June this year).


There was some very ornate ironwork on a couple of buildings.



Ian found the thought of a Person Licker quite disturbing.


Very steampunk!


Back down by the river.






One side of the water was dead calm and the other a raging torrent.




I think the needles look rather like cricket bats.


I hope the dogs understand this sign on the covered bridge.


We don't get sparrows at home so I'm always pleased to hear one chirping.



There was a Farmers Market in one of the side streets and still the prices were eye-watering.




I was fascinated by the brightly coloured eggs.


They very generously offered me one, but of course I declined.


It was now time to head back to the hotel, collect our little cases and catch the tram back to the train station.  Although we were here less than 24 hours, Lucerne was a lovely, quaint city and we thoroughly enjoyed it.